Staying in contact with people over the years can be a daunting task. 1 marketing idea to stay on their radar is an email newsletter. Relevant content is the best way to remind your network who you are, and what are you good at. And if too much time has gone by, it serves to clean up any relations that did not flourish. In my experience, it can take a year for someone to become a client, but it’s always worth it. 59% of B2B marketers say email is their most effective channel in terms of revenue generation (Wordstream).
To clarify, the term email marketing is used for 2 different tactics email marketing or marketing automation. Email marketing is a way to build trust with prospects by sharing relevant content. Marketing Automation is a system that uses a series of targeted emails designed to lead users down a sales funnel. For example: you see an ad on your Facebook News Feed promoting a webinar from a celebrity speaker. So, you sign up for the webinar with your email address. This triggers a sequence, and the series of targeted emails begin. This video by Technology Advice explains in more detail the differences.
There are 7 reasons why an email newsletter remains the best marketing idea:
- It’s effective – Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter (McKinsey).
- ROI – Email marketing platforms cost a fraction of what marketing automation software costs. Forevery $1 spent, emailmarketinggenerates $38 inROI (CampaignMonitor).
- Benchmarks – With hundreds of millions of emails worth of data you can use industry averages to benchmark the relevance of your content.
- Keeps you Fresh – Reading, and consequently writing, forces you to keep up with the latest trends in your industry.
- Authority – It positions you and your brand as an authority on your topic.
- Focus – Writing exercises your mind. You learn to focus and organize your thoughts more clear. Most successful business professionals develop excellent writing skills to properly convey ideas and concepts.
- Sharing – Are you sharing what you learn? You will learn better and recall more when you share your findings with someone else. “If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence.” ~ Lao Tzu
*Bonus – I have put together 6 Email Marketing Campaign Examples you can use as references to craft or improve your own newsletters
Hope you enjoyed this 1 Marketing Memo. Subscribe to our Facebook Page to receive DAILY marketing ideas to grow your business and share this article with your team on Twitter.